Eating out most days during the work week can be very expensive and hard on your health. By packing a lunch you can save hundreds of calories a day and several dollars a day.
The benefits of packing a lunch:
- The options available are endless
- Lunch will likely be healthier if you pack smart
- Packing a moderately healthy lunch from home will almost always be healthier than the fast food options – less calories and less fat
- There will be more time to relax and enjoy your lunch without having to wait in lines to order or travel to pick it up
- Take time to concentrate on yourself – close your eyes and relax for a few minutes
- You will save a lot of money over the course of the year
- An average lunch meal costs $8.00, which is $160.00 per month (if you eat out daily) and $2,080 per year
- The temptation to choose something unhealthy from the cafeteria or a restaurant will be diminished
Make brown-bagging a habit!! Brown-bagging gives you complete control over the nutritional quality and portions of your lunch.
Here are some tips for making tasty, healthy lunches:
- Plan a weekly menu including:
- Leftovers from dinner the night before
- Whole Grains
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Pack lunch the night before
- Be aware of the food labels as you pack your lunch
- Keep your lunch at the appropriate temperature
Take the challenge and see how brown-bagging your lunch can save you money and improve your waistline!!