Every step taken towards eating more fruits and veggies helps you and your family be at their best. Fruits and veggies can be great sources of key nutrients that may help to reduce your family’s risk of developing certain diseases:
- Calcium: Calcium is essential for health bones and teeth. It is also needed for normal function of muscles, nerves, and some glands.
- Fiber: Diets rich in fiber have been shown to have a number of beneficial effects, including decreasing the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Iron: needed for healthy blood and normal function of cells
- Magnesium: Magnesium is necessary for healthy bones and is involved with more than 300 enzymes in your body! Inadequate levels may result in muscle cramps and high blood pressure.
- Potassium: Diets rich in potassium may help to maintain a healthy blood pressure
- Sodium: needed for normal cell function throughout the body. Most diets contain too much sodium which is associated with high blood pressure.
- Vitamin A: Keeps eyes and skin healthy and helps protect against infections
- Vitamin C: helps heal cuts and wounds and keep teeth and gums healthy.
In order to eat the recommended amount of fruits and veggies each day remember to fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables at each meal or eating occasion.