Try to ignore the fad diets that fill the commercials, internet, etc. with promises of weight loss without changing your daily habits.
Both diet and exercise are important to a healthy body, weight loss and weight maintenance. There is no magic trick! Perseverence and maintenance of a daily regimen will prove the most beneficial. Enjoy the foods you love, don’t cut them out totally. Just remember to enjoy them in moderation.
The USDA recommended nutritional guidelines for a healthy eating plan are:
- Focus on fruits and vegetables. Half of your plate should be filled with these at each meal.
- Choose low-fat dairy. Enjoy at least 3 cups of low-fat or fat-free milk each day (or the equivalent in cheese, yogurt or other calcium-rich foods.
- Choose whole grains. Six to eight servings per day are recommended and should fill one quarter of your plate at each meal.
- Avoid trans and saturated fats, sodium, sugars and cholesterol. Fat intake should be limited to 20-35% of your daily calories – avoiding trans and saturated fats as much as possible.
- Focus on lean proteins and fill the last quarter of your plate with these. About 15% of your daily calories should come from protein.
Please refer back to the blog on portion control and the pictures of My Plate. Remember to drink plenty of water!!
Remember the daily caloric count for your goal and it will become your new healthy lifestyle.